Sunday, July 1, 2012

46 in 46 Days

I've always tried to teach our children the importance of random acts of kindness. When Christian and Austin were little, we had a "Star Chart." They earned stars for chores, reading, and acts of kindness. They would spend their stars on different things, such as bowling, movies, sleepovers, money, etc.

I'll never forget the look on Taylor's face when I suggested she do some random acts of kindness. She picked out five balloons to give to five different children and one beautiful bouquet of flowers to give to an elderly woman. She was excited at first, but then the look came. She was terrified. I asked if she wanted me to help her, and she said yes.

We sat in the car and prayed for God to show us who He wanted us to bless that day. Taylor would see a particular person, and say "that's not the one." We were driving around the shopping center when she spotted her, the perfect child! We stopped the car in the middle of the road, jumped out and walked up to the little girl and her parents. Taylor said "Merry Christmas" as she handed her a balloon. The sweet girl smiled, looked at Taylor and said "Feliz Navidad." It was beautiful moment for both girls.

I will be 46 years old in 46 days. Instead of being sad about getting older, I've decided to CELEBRATE with random acts of kindness. MY GOAL: 46 Random Acts of Kindness over the next 46 days.

RANDOM ACT OF KINDNESS #1: Clean up all the toilet paper in my neighbor's yard from being rolled last night.


I would like to add that it was over 100 degrees and our 17 year old son, Christian, helped me. We are so proud of the man he is becoming!

It's really weird to ASK for a birthday present, but I am! Please consider joining me with a random act of kindness. Either comment on our blog or shoot me an email at CynthiaEmerson@comcast.net with the details of how you blessed someone. This truly is the greatest gift you can give to a person, to yourself and to me.

Check back often for updates. I'll be including YOUR random acts of kindness too.

Have fun blessing others!

Cindy



No comments:

Post a Comment